Sunday, July 11, 2010

Weekend in Salzburg!!!

So this weekend I went to Salzburg!! Ok enough said.




JUST KIDDING



I will start off by saying I have never done so much walking in my entire life!! I also made the awful mistake of wearing a brand new pair of shoes and my feet definitely paid the ultimate price. Lesson learned. Aside from the pain I felt, I must confess that Salzburg is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Even coming from one of the greenest states in North America, I was blown away by how perfect the landscape was! One of the first things we did upon arriving was make it to the top of the castle and OMG the view!!!!!! It seriously looked the the Land Before Time. The grass was all evenly colored and cut leading up into the insanely huge mountains. And running through all of this was the clearest river I have ever seen. It was truely magical! The river looked especially refreshing as we were treking through 85 degree weather...

We went through a museum in the castle and I have to admit that my favorite exhibit was the torture room!! All I can say is that I am glad to be living in the present day! The less "painful" devices on display were actually some creepy looking masks worn by liars and rumor-spreaders for purposes of embarassment. Some devices that stood out as especially excrutiating were a chair covered in spikes, the chastity belt, and a tool used to spread out certain openings in the body....OUCH!! And this chastity belt was NOT like the one seen on the Princess Bride. It only had 2 openings for "personal business" and lets just say that things went out but nothing was definitely going in. Thats my only comment ;)

After seeing the castle and museums inside, we went and got lunch and had some free time. Since I was worn out from all that walking, I just ended up relaxing at the hostel (which was nicer than most hotels I've been in) in the shade for a bit before eating an amazing Indian dinner!! In the evening though, I found enough endurance to go to a techno dance club right down the hill from where we were staying. Probably the best way to end a day in Salzburg!! At first, it was just a whole bunch of people standing around with drinks and cigarettes, I was honestly surprised that it took everyone so long to get up and dance! I thought Europeans were a little crazier than that ;) And those of you who know me, know that I love to dance and probably already know that I was the one to start things off. My friends were also really good dancers but people still just stood around and waited more! In the U.S., people usually gain more courage to get in and dance after seeing someone else go in, but it is different here! I met an Austrian girl and talked to her for a bit and inquired as to why people didn't want to dance! At first I thought we were just making fools of ourselves and people didn't want to dance with us, but to my surprise I found out that they are actually just very shy and don't think that they are good at dancing! She even said that we intimidated them with our American dancing skills and thats why they were too afraid to go in! Anyways I called it a night at about 1am (oh, BTW these things go until 7am!!!) and had one of the best nights sleep ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment